The women known as Madan Sara in Haiti work tirelessly to buy, distribute, and sell food and other essentials in markets throughout the country. Despite the obstacles faced by the women working in a sector that lacks investment, infrastructure, and state assistance, the Madan Sara continue to be one of the most critical parts of the Haitian economy.
The "Madan Sara" documentary tells the stories of these indefatigable women who work at the margins to make Haiti’s economy run. Despite facing intense hardship and social stigma, the hard work of the Madan Sara puts their children through school, houses their families, and helps to ensure a better life for generations to come. This film amplifies the calls of the Madan Sara as they speak directly to society to share their dreams for a more just Haiti.
About the filmmaker
Etant Dupain is a journalist, filmmaker, and community organizer. For over a decade, he has worked as a producer on documentaries and for international news media outlets, including Al Jazeera, TeleSur, BBC, CNN, Netflix, PBS, and Vice. Etant founded an alternative media project in Haiti to enable citizen journalists to provide access to information in Haitian Creole for and about internally-displaced people, aid accountability, and politics. Now, moved by the strength of his mother and the women known as the Madan Sara who make Haiti’s economy run, he’s making his first personal film.
To learn more about the film, visit https://www.madansarafilm.com/
The Madan Sara Official Trailer on YouTube
Please be advised that the status, location, or format of this event may change based on COVID-19 pandemic conditions. Please visit this page prior to traveling to the branch/venue for the program.
- Face masks and physical distancing are recommended for all participants over the age of 2.
- Please register via the link on this page or by calling (240) 455-5451 to show interest and to receive event updates.
- Registration does not guarantee admission.
- Participation is permitted on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Capacity limits may apply.
Tenga en cuenta que el estado, ubicación, o formato de este evento puede cambiar dependiendo de las condiciones de la pandemia COVID-19. Por favor, visite esta página antes de ir a la sucursal/lugar para el programa.
- Máscaras y distancia social se recomendado para todos los participantes mayores de dos años.
- Por favor regístrese por medio del enlace en esta página o llame al (240) 455-5451 para demostrar su interés y recibir las últimas noticias.
- La registración no garantiza su admisión.
- La participación se permite por orden de llegada.
- Podrá aplicarse límites de capacidad.