The Prince George’s County Board of Library Trustees is seeking volunteers to join the seven-member governing board for the library system. Come help shape the future of one of the top public library systems in the country!
Applications will be accepted until January 2, 2024.
Physical copies of the application are available at PGCMLS branch library service desks. You may also print the form here.
The board has essential roles in:
- hiring and evaluating the library’s chief executive officer;
- setting strategic priorities for the library;
- providing oversight to ensure that library resources are used appropriately and effectively to achieve those priorities;
- reviewing and approving library policies; and
- serving as ambassadors to the community and other stakeholders to advance the library’s mission.
Board members serve without compensation for staggered five-year terms. Some new board members might serve a shorter period if appointed to complete the term of a vacant seat.
The board typically holds public meetings on a bimonthly basis and occasionally on an as-needed basis in unusual circumstances. Regular attendance at board meetings is required of members.
Board members are expected to:
- serve on at least one of the board’s three standing committees;
- represent the board at library-related events; and
- advocate for the library in its outreach to the community and policymakers.
Due to the board’s small size, each member is also expected to take a leadership role at some point during their service, either as a board officer or as the chair of a board committee.
Effective board members bring to the library:
- unique knowledge of the community;
- a desire to learn more about how the library meets the needs of the county’s diverse communities;
- a commitment to the rights of citizens to access and engage with information;
- a collaborative approach to building relationships and seeking solutions; and
- a willingness to advocate on behalf of the library system with communities, the county, and the state.
PGCMLS Board of Library Trustees - 2023 public meeting schedule, Bylaws, and biographies.
Strategic Framework 2021-2024
2022 Annual Report
Branch Information: Hours and Locations